Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Advertising...You Are Such A Jerk!

Why is advertising's only friend advertisers and the companies getting their product out? "Big Brother" already keeps tabs on our buying behavior, so it makes logical sense that they would be able to target ads narrowly tailored to our interests.

Pandora (www.pandora.com) has broken through this wall a bit with their streaming online radio. Basically you set up radio stations that populate themselves based on the song or artist (you can use either) that you select to characterize that station. For instance, I have a Gorillaz station on my profile that plays music ranging from Mark Farina to the Firebird Band to Fischerspooner.

While there are some banner advertisements on the page that hosts the player itself, the advertising I think is much more inventive, is the advertising for the artists. I like Gorillaz, so Pandora recommends Mark Farina to me- if I don't like that song I simply click the thumbs-down icon and it updates my preferences. Here's the breakdown: Pandora plays a song for me, an advertisement for that album essentially, based on my listening habits.

Essentially narrowly tailored, specifically targeted ads don't turn people off like mass market ads. More on this later...

No comments: